Reset your Mindset!
Imagine a perfect world. Expectations are great. Circumstances align perfectly. Everything seems to fall into place.
Goals are set. You simply need to take steps to achieve them. Your situation is ideal. It's easy to accomplish anything you set out to accomplish.
Suddenly, you awaken from a dream. Maybe you're mistaken. Perhaps you've been living someone else's life. This certainly isn't your reality.
You have a clear picture of how you wish things were, how you think they should be. Yet, life isn't anything close to what you expected it would be.
The vision is great. Still, timing isn't right. Circumstances are challenging. You're convinced that life will straighten out in time. Then, all will fall into place.
Are circumstances stopping you or are unrealistic expectations making it hard to see beyond your circumstances?
Expectations are a part of life. They greatly impact attitude and outcome. If they don't match reality, discouragement quickly sets in.
Life can take you down some rough roads. How you view obstacles and challenges greatly impacts the outcome. You can dwell on what you don't have or you can focus on how to make the best of what you do have. The choice is yours.
Yes, what you're dealing with is real. Circumstances may not be ideal. Timing may not be right for some things. Still, there's always something you can do.
If waiting for perfect timing, you'll never start. Let's shift focus from circumstances to realistic expectations. Follow these simple steps to reset your mindset.
- Write your vision down. It helps to see the vision on paper. What's your ultimate goal?
- Assess your expectations. Be honest with yourself. Are your expectations realistic or unrealistic?
- Break your vision down into goals. Do your goals align with your expectations?
- Reset timeframe for goals. Your vision may be big. It may take years to get there. It helps to break a big vision down into smaller goals. For the purposes of this exercise, make two years the timeframe. Where do you expect to be in 2 years? What can you do today to move closer to the goal?
- Set short-term goals. If only focused on long-term goals, it may be difficult to stay motivated. In fact, many give up when results are slow. What do you hope to accomplish within one month? What can you do today to change tomorrow?
- Balance short-term and long-term goals. If only focused on short-term goals, you may not be challenged. If only focused on long-term goals, it may be hard to stay motivated. How can you balance both to stay motivated and challenged?
- Reassess expectations and goals on a regular basis. It's important to consistently reset goals as you move forward. Grow with your goals. Your goals will grow with you. Still, you can't move beyond your growth. Do you need to reset expectations and goals?
- Go back to step 1. Don't be surprised if your vision changes as you move forward. As expectations become more realistic, you'll be encouraged to go further. As you move forward, goals will more closely align with your vision.
If ready to step into your potential, be prepared to step outside your comfort zone. Set expectations that are challenging yet realistic. If goals are too easy to reach, you may need to set higher expectations. If goals are unreachable, you may need to lower expectations. They should be challenging enough to push you beyond your comfort zone. Yet, they should be realistic enough that you can reach them.
Let's face it, the world will never be perfect. Still, you can walk through life with a positive attitude of expectation. Shift your focus. Stop wishing for perfect circumstances. Don't imagine a perfect world. Make your world the best it can be.
Don't get caught up in what you can't do. Focus on what you can do. Don't dwell on how you wish things were, how you think things should be. Make the best of what they are!
Expect great things to happen. Walk in that belief. What once felt impossible will feel within reach!
Want to learn more about the author? Click here
Want to learn about Julie's upcoming book? Click here