Imagine life without choices. You're told how to think and respond. The outcome is predetermined. Circumstances are seemingly within your control.
Envisioning life without choices may sound simplistic and ideal. However, it's quite the opposite. An inability to choose doesn't lead to feeling in control. Rather, it leads to feeling out of control.
You have free will. With that, the ability to decide how to respond ahead of time. You can dwell on the negative, all that can go wrong. Or, you can flip things around. Turn negativity into positivity. Focus on the positive and all that can go right.
You can instantly jump to conclusions and envision the worse case scenario. Or, you can look for the positive in the midst of even the most difficult of circumstances.
Don't respond with emotion. Decide how you will respond ahead of time. When you do, your outlook on life will start to change.
Follow these steps to refocus your mind and turn negativity into positivity:
- Work on a positive mindset daily. Don't wait until you're in the midst of a storm. Arm yourself with weapons to fight the battle before it begins. You'll be better prepared to weather any storm that comes your way. A right mindset is half the battle.
- Fill your life with positive. It's not enough to simply get rid of the negative. You need to replace it with positive. When a negative thought comes, focus on something positive. When confronted with challenging circumstances, look for the silver lining. Is there something positive to gain?
- Respond rather than react. Don't get carried away with emotion. Emotion will cause you to react. Decide how you're going to respond before the storm comes. This will help you to make decisions based on faith and trust.
- Make a list of positive activities to clear your mind. It's not always possible to avoid negativity. Learn to counteract negativity with positivity. When negative thoughts try to sneak in, do something positive. Examples might be to read the bible or an inspirational book, take a walk, call a friend, write or exercise.
- Pray and trust. Your first reaction should be to pray. Prayer is your greatest weapon. Trust that God is fighting the battle for you. Don't dwell on the negative. Focus on the positive and look for the lesson. Is there something you need to learn?
- Take action based on faith. Action helps to refocus the mind. In the midst of difficult circumstances, choose to take action based on faith. Select from your list of positive activities.
- Repeat steps 1-6. A positive mindset is a choice. Staying positive is an ongoing process. Negativity will try to sneak in on a regular basis. Learn to replace it with positivity. Your life will start to change.
Life is all about choices. Change is certain. Although it's not always possible to change circumstances, you choose how you respond to them. A positive mindset is the key.
Positivity is a choice. Negativity is a choice. Choose positivity over negativity.
If you can't change circumstances, change the way you look at them. Look beyond today's challenge. See tomorrow's possibility.
A change in focus changes everything. Don't dwell on what can go wrong. Focus on all that can go right!
Want to learn more about the author? Click here
Want to learn more about Julie's upcoming book? Click here