Shift Your Focus
Imagine life without choices. You're told how to think and respond. The outcome is already determined. Circumstances are seemingly within your control.
A life without choices may sound simplistic and ideal. Yet, it's quite the opposite. An inability to choose doesn't lead to feeling in control. Rather, it leads to feeling out of control.
You have free will. With that, the ability to decide how you’re going to respond ahead of time. You can dwell on the negative and all that can go wrong. Or, you can focus on the positive and all that can go right.
You can jump to conclusions and envision the worst case scenario. Or, you can look for the positive in the midst of even the most difficult of circumstances.
Don't respond with emotion. Plan your response ahead of time. When you do, life will start to change.
Follow these steps to shift your focus and turn negativity into positivity:
- Work on a positive mindset daily. Don't wait until you're in the midst of a storm. Arm yourself with weapons to fight the battle before it begins. Be ready to weather any storm that comes your way. A right mindset is half the battle.
- Fill your life with positive. It's not enough to simply get rid of the negative. You have to replace it with positive. When a negative thought comes, focus on something positive. When confronted with challenging circumstances, look for the silver lining. Is there something positive to gain?
- Respond rather than react. Don't get carried away with emotion. Emotion will cause you to react. Decide how you're going to respond before the storm comes.
- Make a list of positive activities to keep you positive. It's not always possible to avoid negativity, but you can counteract it with positivity. When negative thoughts sneak in, do something positive. Examples might be to read the bible or an inspirational book, take a walk, call a friend, write or exercise.
- Pray and trust. Your first reaction should be to pray. Prayer is your greatest weapon. Trust that God is fighting the battle for you. Don't dwell on the negative. Focus on the positive and look for the lesson. Is there something you need to learn?
- Take action based on faith. Action helps to refocus the mind. In the midst of difficult circumstances, choose to take action based on faith. Select from your list of positive activities.
- Repeat steps 1-6. A positive mindset is a choice. Staying positive is an ongoing process. Make positivity a habit.
Life is about choices. Change is certain. It’s not always possible to change circumstances, but you can choose how you’re going to respond to them. Positivity is a choice. Negativity is a choice. Choose positivity over negativity.
If you can't change circumstances, change the way you look at them. Look beyond today's challenge. See tomorrow's possibility.
A positive push in the right direction might be just what you need. If ready to flip things around and shift your focus, Let's Talk.